Friday, January 13, 2012


As we all know, in elementary school, there was a certain school lunch that everyone was required to obtain. The 'complete lunch' consisted of a juice box, sandwich, snack, fruit, and some sort of dessert. My lunch consisted of all of these things, except a sandwich. I was never big on the idea of peanut butter or jelly smothered between two pieces of white bread, just sitting in the sandwich baggie to sweat, while the peanut butter turned a not so peanut-buttery shade. One day at lunch, this snot nosed, grimy, kid who must of thought he was the lunch police, called me out in front of my lunch table. He told everyone that I didn't have a sandwich and that I was weird and my mother must not know how to pack a lunch! I was so embarrassed, later that day I went home and told my mother what happened. If I knew what I know now, I would've told that kid to take a hike, but of course what do you know as a fourth grader? My mother (who thought I was overreacting) and I concocted a peanut butter, chocolate chip and banana sandwich with toasted wheat bread. It was delicious! I took it the school the very next day and all the kids wanted to taste it! I was proud of my sandwich and my mother and I would eat for a snack on weekends while we read books. My mother and I still whip up the sandwich every now and then when we need to bring back a little youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment