Wednesday, March 7, 2012

W9: Create your own topic

I noticed that a few people wrote their editorials about the locally grown food here, farmers markets, and the thirty mile radius, so I decided to do a little research. I noticed that at our dining halls, especially Shively and Baker, have signs up next to the food that is local. The meat and vegetables usually always have signs next to them. I remember in fall, Baker had a pumpkin palooza and my roommates and I had to go check it out. Scattered around the food court were assortments of pumpkin products that were made by locals or homemade. From pumpkin pie, pumpkin cakes, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cracker dip, and even pumpkin lasagna we sampled it all! All the products were so much better than anything store bought and my roommates and I stocked up on pumpkin products. It felt good not only because of the glorious amounts of pumpkin foods that I was about to consume, but because we bought and participated in a local project. I always keep a look out for different kinds of local foods that Baker will put out. Baker's catering using local products too, such as Boughton's Locally Owned Milk Products. Jackie O's serves all locally grown foods and brews their own beer. There are many opportunities to buy and eat locally grown food in Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment